• Develop a thorough understanding of the history of their chosen area of development, including major innovations, pioneers and leaders in the field, and influences from other areas of technology and culture.
• Gain an understanding of innovation — the conditions that lead to new and better ideas, the processes by which those ideas often develop, and approaches to innovation as practiced by some of the pioneering figures in media and technology.
• Forecast the future of their chosen area of development, based on the history of the area and an analysis of recent trends.
• Propose and advocate for a project that breaks new ground in their area and also serves as a crowning project in their college portfolio.
• Design and implement proofs-of-concept to test various creative and technical strategies for successfully developing their project in the second semester of the sequence, and revising their project proposal to reflect the results of these tests.